Monday, November 30, 2015

Turkish Delight at Istanbul Restaurant

 
I love chilled nights out, especially after a hectic day. It’s a moment to breathe, relax, let go and enjoy the moment. 

Driven by my curiosity to try all kinds of tea. I was delighted to find out that Istanbul restaurant located in Avondale offered Turkish tea(something new to try) – perhaps I expected it to taste all  exotic but to be honest I was disappointed – it tasted like [plain old normal tea.] However, I didn’t just go for the tea (even though it was the main reason), wherever there’s food I am going (looking at my body you can’t tell right?)  Karma might just catch up to me later on in life. 

Seeing as this was my first Turkish experience. I was willing to try anything. I settled on grilled kofte  ( a type of meatball) and my partner in foodie crime had Daruzziyafe Kofte which is a meatloaf of sorts in simple English. I’m still working on getting the pronunciation right for when I actually go to Turkey.

The taste of it was all too new to me and I could not decide whether I loved it or hated it. I was left feeling lukewarm - neither cold nor hot. I really couldn’t judge if it was bad or the taste was just all too new to me. I settled on the latter.

A few days later I found myself craving that unfamiliar taste that I had somewhat rejected at first. Then I knew that it   sometimes takes time for one to appreciate something delightfully foreign.
Food at Istanbul grows on you and the cravings come when you’re tired of your regular rice and beans and you want a flavour you can’t find everywhere.

I think this just might be the start of a foreign love affair.
 
Address: 117, King George Rd, Harare, Zimbabwe
Hours:
MondayClosed
Tuesday12:00 – 10:00 PM
Wednesday12:00 – 10:00 PM
Thursday12:00 – 10:00 PM
Friday12:00 – 10:00 PM
Saturday12:00 – 10:00 PM
Sunday12:00 – 10:00 PM

2 comments: