Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Mexican Midnight Snack: Nachos


It’s been a while since I’ve had nachos so when the opportunity arose and my stomach needed filling on a night out with those close to me - a plate of nachos was exactly what I needed and boy was it beyond filling. Topped with chicken strips, the combo nachos, cheese, chicken, sour cream and jalapenos gelled perfectly together – a plus for me because anything with something meaty – completes me, plus I got to get my hands dirty. The best food is usually eaten with your hands - something I believe. You should definitely give them a try.
What I ordered - Nachos Con Polo
With Cajun chicken breasts
Other variations include;
Nachos Grande
A serving of nachos topped with chilli cheese sauce, melted cheese and jalapenos, served with guacamole, sour cream and house salsa
Nachos Con Carne
A serving of nachos with spicy beef mince

Favourite drink - a Material Girl softail which includes monin morello cherry syrup with fresh lemon, fresh mint leaves and cranberry juice topped with lemonade. What I love most about it is its not too sweet and the fresh mint is absolutely refreshing without overwhelming the softail.

Where to get them
News Cafe Borrowdale
Stand 1, Sam Levy’s Entertainment Centre Sam Levy’s Village, Borrowdale
04 852 188


Mondays: Kitchen closes at 8.30pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 9.30pm
Friday & Saturday: (10.30pm but it's at the managers discretion to open till 11pm)
Sunday: usually 9.30pm but we play it by ear.


What are nachos?

Nachos are a Tex-Mex dish from northern Mexico. The dish is composed of tortilla chips (totopos) covered with cheese or cheese-based sauce, and is often served as a snack. More elaborate versions add more ingredients and can be served as a main dish. First created in about 1943 by Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya, the original nachos consisted of fried corn tortillas covered with cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeƱo peppers.

4 comments: