Friday, April 15, 2016

The Best Seafood in town – Ocean Basket

Ocean Basket Borrowdale
Stand 3, Sam Levy Entertainment Centre, Sam Levy Village
Harare
04 852 189
Ocean Basket Avondale
Avondale Shopping Center
Lunch and Dinner

Easy living for me – always involves long naps and good food – Ocean basket might not provide the nap facilities but it’s a bustling atmosphere for warm smiles, good food and great conversation – the somewhat witty jokes on the table covers  and menu – were great fish Intel and those sea jokes really got me laughing...

I’ve mentioned before I really love calamari (squid) and calamari is what I had – 3 perfectly sized large portions of calamari steaks to be exact with a serving of good old chips – you can never go wrong with chips. Calamari if not made well can turn out horribly wrong – most people I know who abhor calamari –can’t get past the rubbery texture  - as for me that’s what I love the most about it and Ocean basket served it just right.

Calamari Steak


With the right amount of lemon drizzled over the calamari steak and a sprinkling of salt – I am automatically taken to calamari heaven...Helping myself from one bite to another...It’s hard to describe calamari in the best way – with its unique texture –being perhaps the only overpowering factor about it - calamari just is – you either love it or hate it...you just have to try it to get it..

My date for the night – was my dad – he was great fun and wiped out his whole pan (no I didn’t make any mistake they serve their food in little pans – how quaint?)– Kind of expected for dad’s right? He had Kingklip with chips. I just had a bite – and it fared really well... just about right. He obviously had no complaints and for someone who wiped his pan clean – it must have been really good or he must have been very hungry... lol 

Kingklip

Disappointed by the two options only available for dessert, we chose to skip it – but now I’m thinking I should have just tried it out. I mean silly me, who refuses dessert...another helping of food??? I guess there’s always next time...

Pricing 

Calamari Steak $12
Kingklip $14

Those mother jokes

Fun Wiki Facts
Squid is a popular food in many parts of the world. Calamari is a culinary name for squid, especially for dishes from the Mediterranean, notably fried squid (fried calamari).There are many ways of preparing and cooking squid, with every country and region having its own recipes. Fried squid appears in Mediterranean cuisine, in Lebanon, Syria and Turkey it is served with a tartar sauce, in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, it is sold in fish and chip shops, and in North America, it is a staple in seafood restaurants.
Squid can be prepared for consumption in other ways. In Korea it is sometimes served raw, and elsewhere it is used as sushi, sashimi and tempura items, grilled, stuffed, covered in batter, stewed in gravy and served in stir-fries, rice, and noodle dishes. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_as_food
 Genypterus capensis (Smith, 1847), commonly known as kingklip, is a species of the cusk eel. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genypterus_capensis



3 comments:

  1. I've heard about this place before. This time i think i will pay a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about this place before. This time i think i will pay a visit.

    ReplyDelete